Monday, October 14, 2013

Guys love "Gear", any type of gear...

Most guys love the gear they use for any of their hobbies. Fishing gear, hunting gear, racing gear, metal detecting gear, etc...name the past time and you can name the gear that comes with participating in that hobby. A lot of gear is inter-changeable with various hobbies. Hunting boots can be used for any of the outdoor hobbies. Flash lights are in just about any hobbies gear list.

What I would like to talk about is the gear used for metal detecting. Over the years I have developed a pile of gear that I use most every time I go detecting. Through trial and error I have compiled a list of essential gear (on my person), back up gear (in the truck) and just in case gear (also in the truck). We will start with the essential gear.

In the photo below are my essential gear items. Belt, with finds bag, digging knife, pin pointer and gloves. I always have this on my person when detecting for coins or relics. Also, I have used the "Predator" relic shovel for many years and can't imagine using another. This shovel is the best. I like a wide belt as it holds the items on it more securely. I use a Minelab digging knife and am satisfied with the performance. Garrett pin pointer has been great over the years, but will try the Minelab Pro pin pointer soon. Will let you know my thoughts on it once I have used it awhile. Always carry a few cleaning brushes to help ID finds in the field. Toilet paper is a must and is always close by. Good pair of gloves, I use a cheap $4 pair and when they wear out I toss them. Marking tape to mark an area or a spot. The waist pouch (camo) is new and I will be trying it out on the next few hunts. I have seen some other guys using them on some video and figured I give it a try. More pockets, more gear!!
Essential Gear
Recently I started wearing a vest all the time when detecting. I have a summer vest as well as a fall/winter vest. Fall and Winter vest has blazed orange. They both have plenty of pockets to store more gear!!! Adding to the essentials list, I always carry my camera, cell phone, reading glasses, magnifying glass, field notebook and water. I use to carry a GPS, but with the CTX 3030's on board GPS that is a mute point. Inside my finds bag I carry small containers to store my good finds. Putting coins, buttons or small brass items inside these containers along with some soil will help protect them during the rest of the hunt. Cell phone for an emergency. Camera for videos that go on YouTube as well as documenting a find. Reading glasses and magnifying glass because my eyesight is not what they used to be. Field notebook to write down notes about finds found. Even with the GPS on the CTX, I still need the field notebook. Its faster to write a few notes than to do data entry in the field. My process when finding a nice target is recover item, mark spot with the CTX's GPS, take a few notes and then on to the next find.
Back up and Just in case gear

Back up gear is stored in the truck and most of it fits into a large tote box shown below. My back up gear is extra batteries for metal detector and pin pointer. Car chargers for CTX battery, Wireless module and video camera. Extra storage containers for finds, rags for wiping down detector and a few tools.

Just in case gear consist of spare metal detector, heavy duty scoop for river, creeks and ponds. First aide kit

No comments:

Post a Comment