Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Giving back to the land owners...

I don't know about you, but most of the folks that let me metal detect their property never ask for any of the finds. When I first get permission to hunt from them, I always tell them they are more than welcome to any and all the finds. Most then say they don't want them. I do have a lot of land owners that want to see the finds, but very few want them.

So I started taking various finds that I have found on their property and put them in a small to medium size Sgt. Riker's case. I give them the case with the relics and their faces light up and a huge smile stretches across their face. A lot of the times they have seen the relics before, after a hunt, but they were dirty and only field cleaned. Now...they see the relics all cleaned up and show much more interest. Why is that...

A good by product of this, has been a clear and unmistakable increase in property to hunt. Every single landowner I have given a case to, has actively sought out other land for me to hunt. It is amazing how a little good will and kindness works.

I know some will say "I'm not giving up my relics" or "Man, I wouldn't have given up that button." To that, I say after 15 years of metal detecting, I have relics, coins, buttons, bullets, etc...coming out of my ears. I'm always buying a new something to display my finds. Bottom line, I have plenty and giving back some will not kill me. Most of what I give, I already have 10 of them. Plus, it has gotten me permission on property I didn't have before, to find more relics. The way I see it its a classic win / win.

JCJ

No comments:

Post a Comment